What is the Team Database?
The Team Database makes it easy to organize your workforce and evaluate your talent pool. This all starts by assigning attributes and skills to each member of your team, such as language, role, payscale, t-shirt size, etc. By creating a database of skills or attributes, you can drill down to find the right person for every job, and create more detailed reports based on skill, role, or attribute.
Setting up your team database
The Team Database is based on the attributes you create and assigning to members of your team. This might include the team that they belong to, the role that they fit, what kind of employee they are, the brands they cover — you name it, you can set it.
Here's how to create and set attributes for your team:
Pro Tip: How to set up your team database with a rep survey:
While it’s possible to edit attributes for every rep one-by-one or in bulk via rep import, most teams capturing attributes for the first time or adding new attributes for the entire team at once need a -scalable way to capture that data. If you want to collect personal information directly from reps on a regular basis, we recommend using Forms to survey your team, then uploading their responses to your rep list via import.
- Create the attributes you want to track.
- Build a survey using Forms and send it to your team to complete.
- Export the survey results and import them with your rep list as attributes.
Step 1: Create a new rep attribute
Before you send the survey out to your team, the first step is to create your custom rep attributes in Repsly.
1. Click on the Gear Icon in the top right of the page. Select “Custom attributes” under the Data Management section.
2. Toggle over to the Representatives tab.
3. Select “+ New attribute”.
4. Select one of 6 field types: short text, long text, numeric, yes/no, single selection, multiple selections. For selection attributes, you will also need to provide answer choices.
5. Select “Save changes” to proceed with creating the attribute and return to the list of attributes, or “Save and add another” to continue creating more attributes.
Step 2: Build a survey using Forms and send it to your team to complete
Now that you’ve created the attributes you’d like to track, the next step is to create a corresponding survey so your team can give you their responses. You may want to fill in some of the details on your own (e.g. pay scale, role, rating, etc.), so just include questions on the form you’d like your team to answer for themselves (e.g. t-shirt size, language, etc.).
1. Click on the Forms tab on the main menu, then click the plus icon to create a new form.
2. Add questions to your form for each attribute you’d like your reps to fill in. The form question type should match the attribute type you want to collect. When you’re finished, click Save.
2. Schedule a task for your reps to complete this form, and add a due date. You can use or create a place called “Company HQ,” for example, to log admin work that doesn’t need to be completed at a certain account. Or, if you require geofencing to complete a visit, you may choose to assign this task to each rep’s home address depending on how your team operates.
Step 3: Export the survey results and add them to your rep list as attributes.
Once your team has completed the survey, you simply need to export the results and upload them as part of a new rep import.
1. Export your form responses. You can do this from the Activity Feed, by filtering to show only responses to that Form, or through the Exports page. (Related: How to export form responses)
2. Export a list of your reps from the Representatives page. You should see column headers for each attribute you created earlier.
3. Paste the survey responses from the Form export into the spreadsheet with your rep list and save the new document.
4. Go back to the Representative page in Repsly, click “Import Representatives,” and upload the spreadsheet you just saved.
You’re all done! You should now have an up-to-date database of skills and attributes for each rep who completed the survey. You can view the attributes on each rep’s profile as well as filter your representatives by custom attribute:
1. Go to the Representatives page. Select “Add more filters”.
2. Under “Filter representatives by additional attributes”, select an attribute.
3. For a text or numeric attribute, enter in a text or numeric value to filter by. For a yes/no or selection attribute, select an answer to filter by.
4. Select “Add this filter” to apply.