Next to the real-time tracking, Time and Mileage tracking is one of the best Repsly data capturing features.
If you have Time and Mileage tracking in your subscription, you can see your reps workday time and total mileage recorded and not only the data but you can also see this information on the map along with your reps route.
In order for the time and mileage feature to work properly, these conditions must be met:
- your rep has to allow the location services for Repsly
- your rep must have the GPS on the device turned on
- your rep has to start the day by clicking on the Start day button and end the day by clicking the End the day button in Repsly
How the time and mileage tracking works
Once a rep starts their workday and if the GPS signal is established, the mobile app will start to send breadcrumbs every 200 meters. The mobile app is sending breadcrumbs to our server and the web app the whole time during the rep's movements. In case some breadcrumbs are not sent for 1000 meters from the previous one (for example in the case when the mobile device is in a car driving in high speed) the new one will be sent once the good connection is established again (with GPS and our servers).
The route on the map will be shown by connecting breadcrumbs which are received from the mobile app. With our new bugfix, we decided to leave a hole inside of the route if breadcrumbs are not received for more than 4000 meters.
You can see the route of your representatives by filtering the Activities tab by Time and Mileage. You can also add more filters to narrow down your search by clicking on "Add more filters".
Click on the Route button to see the route of your representative.
Below are some examples of the Route and how it's displayed in Repsly.
In the image below you can see how it looks like when the GPS signal is lost. As you can see the route is disconnected in the area where the GPS has been lost.
You can always manually enter the missing mileage in Repsly as a back-office user or a representative if you have the permission to manually enter your mileage. If you don't have that permission you can ask your admin to fill in the missing values.
How to avoid interruption of your GPS signal
If your rep is located in their car it is preferable to carry the mobile device as near as possible to the windshield in order to establish the best possible communication with the GPS.
The Repsly mobile app gathers data from the GPS in the way that it communicates with your mobile device. There are different ways how each device picks up the GPS signal and some of them are:
- If at the same time you have established an internet connection the GPS signal will be much better compared to the offline mode.
- In offline mode, the GPS signal is picked up by the method of triangulation. This method works in a way that three triangles faced opposite to each other are trying to find the centre and they are positioning the device in the centre they picked up and determined as the location.
The GPS signal can be inferior in areas where it is hard to establish a GPS connection for example:
- In large shopping malls
- Buildings with metal construction and thick walls
- Tunnels and underground areas
This results in an inferior GPS signal of distinctively lower quality.
Repsly mobile app depends on the GPS data that is gathered from the mobile device, this data is transferred to the web app and is displayed accordingly.
* NOTE: We store the breadcrumb information in our system for the period of two years and after that period the past routes are no longer visible in the Repsly web app.